Montag, 1. Februar 2010

Influence/ Einfluss

Yesterday, my husband remarked that living with me is like having a corset, there are so many things he can't do. It's true. I was sent to be his conscience, to help him rewrite a life gone awry. To cover his back while he carves out a new reality.

And he was sent to loosen me up and goad me. He has a tough job of it, I can tell you. Ornery, stubborn, contrary, I'm all that and more. Yet, when I am convinced by his point of view--and it doesn't need to be dramatic--there's no-one more pliable and adaptable than I. Change is instantaneous.

So together we create a whole new way of being. It's not just compromise, it's about being convinced, really seeing things--especially yourself--through another person's eyes. And laughing. A lot. Thank goodness for relationships.

Es ist eine haarsträubende Geschichte, was ich und mein Mann alles mit einander erlebt haben. Und doch haben wir es geschafft, als ob das alles normal sei. Und irgendwie ist es auch. Wir nehmen das Leben wie es kommt, streiten wenig und diskutieren viel. Wir lassen auch nicht davon ab, uns gegenseitig verbessern zu wollen.

Manche sagen, man müsse einen Partner akzeptieren so wie er ist. Das stimmt nur bedingt. Denn wie man so ist, ist kein statischer Zustand. Und wie der andere wird, da hat ein Partner ein Wörtchen mit zu reden. Denn schließlich sind wir nicht umsonst gemeinsam unterwegs.

Hugs for Haiti!