Sonntag, 31. Januar 2010

Prekär/ Precarious

I attended a trade union meeting for "precariously employed" educationalists--like myself. The context was a workshop about the German state employment agency's 2010 budget and the opportunities offered this year.

It was an education in itself to hear the experiences others have had with various contractors. I learned about http://www.mediafon.net/ where one can report and compare experiences. The most important thing was recognising the need for us to do something to help ourselves and raise public awareness about the precariousness of our position. In the hope that we can change things.

I am grateful for the people who have an eye on the developments that affect me. I plan to take action to improve my own position and that of others like me. But life is always precarious. I never truly know how it will go. I can only change myself. Maybe that's enough.

Die neuen Wanderarbeiter sind Pädagogen, die als Honorarkräfte Aufträge von verschiedenen Firmen annehmen. Die Honorare sind selten genug, um die Unsicherheiten und den ständig wechselnden Markt auszugleichen. Viele von uns leben am Rande des Existenzminimums. Kaum jemand hat Einsicht in unserer Realität.

Am vergangenen Freitag sah ich einen Funken Hoffnung. Wir könnten uns zusammenschliessen und Veränderungen durchbringen. Wird das Teil meiner Lebensaufgabe sein?

Ich bin schwach und das Leben ist sehr kurz. Doch wenn es die Aufgabe ist, die sich mir stellt, dann möge ich die Kraft finden, sie anzupacken. Gottseidank für die Menschen, die Augen eröffnen.