Montag, 21. Dezember 2009

Time/Die Zeit

It's Monday morning at 5 o'clock. But when I post this, it'll probably say Sunday. My blog's in another time zone somewhere. It's amazing how our world works.

This entry is for people who have been my mentors over the years. I've already mentioned Dr Wolfe, the Davises, the Henrys, the Hettlings, Cloval Anderson and others from work. I'd also like to thank Sister Maureen Clare Hall OSF, our head mistress in high school, all the teachers and staff at Immaculate, especially Mrs Browne my first homeroom teacher, Mrs Robotham who made me love maths, Sr Pat, Sr Marie Emmanuel, Sr Josette, Miss Ramsey, Miss Lawrence, Mrs Fong Kong and Miss Issa whose UWC information altered the course of my life.

There were the UWC mentors: Nat Mann and his wife Dottie, Neil and Anita, Andrew who mediated and taught me the basic philosophical principles on which I've built my own, Charles who taught us economics (ha!) Susan, Maria Elena and Andy,(whom I've thanked elsewhere, too), the Mullers, my getaway family, especially Michelle. Later, there was Jim, my freshman counselor at Yale and Chris who wasn't my counselor, but helped anyway, Harvey from fencing, Anke who's been consistently kind, the biochem Professor in Göttingen who wrote the recommendation for the scholarship I got, the nephrologist in Marburg who got me to become an organ donor, Klaus and Marianne Grawe, Barbara Heiniger, Professor Steinhausen, Frau von Aster, Dr Andreas Sarasin, PD Julian Schilling, Prof Gutzwiller, and Prof Margerete Dunitz Scheer.
And to Monika Schäppi who mentors and inspires me still.
The thank count's at least 935.

Eigentlich bin ich dankbar für viel mehr als ich bislang aufgezählt habe. Je mehr ich daran denke, umso mehr Menschen und Situationen fallen mir ein. Soviel kann ich am Morgengrauen gar nicht schreiben, wenn die Arbeit ruft. Heute ruft sie nicht, denn die Gruppen haben Ferien und das bedeutet, auch ich. Hurra!