Dienstag, 15. Dezember 2009

Bleigiessen/ Fate

The classes I mentioned yesterday got me a "Bleigiessen" set as a farewell gift. It's a German tradition to pour melted lead into water and read the future on New Year's Eve or Christmas. It sounds a bit like reading tea leaves. I love that kind of thing because it gets my fantasy revving. In my heart, however, I know my fate is my own making.

The trainees also gave me a signed group picture. That's precious as my memory is beginning to fade. It's always been a good one, and I still retain more than some people are capable of in their prime. But as I do my thank count, it becomes more and more obvious how many names I've forgotten. If I'm lucky, I recall the faces. The last thing to go are the associated stories. Without a story, a person no longer exists. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Today I give thanks for the unknown stories, the shadow faces, the memories that no longer exist. They may be a bigger part of me than I'll ever know. Oh, and I'll get back to counting tomorrow.

Irgendwann mußte es aber gut sein mit der Selbstverwirklichung and Entwicklung, meinte ein Bekannter von mir. Dieser Zustand der Ungewissheit, des sich ständig neu erfinden, müsse doch ein Ende haben, nicht wahr? Da bin ich mir nicht so sicher. Ich ahne, dass es sehr wohl ein lebenlang so laufen könnte, und vielleicht sogar darüber hinaus. Es ist unmöglich, mich an alles und alle zu erinnern, die mir zu dieser Lebzeit geholfen haben. Wahrscheinlich ist mir vieles nicht einmal bewußt. Für dieses grosse Unbekannte bedanke ich mich heute.