Freitag, 21. Mai 2010

Idiot

Good word, "idiot". It's the same in German and English. It was only when I heard an older woman hiss it to herself yesterday that I realised I haven't used it for a while. I used to use it constantly. Mostly in negative self talk like that elderly woman.

She stopped in the middle of the street to berate herself, or some absent person, for something he or she had done, presumably at some time , anywhere from a minute to 70-80 years past, from the look of her. It might have been senility, I reasoned, once I had ascertained that she wasn't addressing me.

Or just the plain ole everyday human madness of habitually putting ourselves and others down. Whatever. I appreciated the brief, spontaneuos glimpse of her subconscious mind. It made me realise all that negative self talk has been absent from my mind for quite some time. Yay!!! True progress lies in the silence.

Gestern hisste eine ältere Dame "Idiot" als ich sie vor meiner Bank (Haspa, Meine Bank!) begegnete. Zunächst habe ich sie besorgt angeschaut. Was war denn los? Scheinbar nichts. Sie hielt mitten in der Strasse an, glücklicherweise war es eine eher selten benutzte Einfahrt in das Parkingareal der Bank, und fing an Selbstgespräche zu führen.

Das kann gut ein Zeichen der Senilität gewesen sein. Unkontrollierte Ausbrüche sind bei Alzheimers und ä. weit verbreitet. Aber auch im "Normalen" Umgang kommt es nicht selten vor, dass wir uns von unseren negativen Gedanken übertölpern lassen. Manchmal erkennen wir es nicht einmal. Das Programm läuft praktisch automatisch ab.

Diese Frau hat mich daran erinnert. Denn seit einiger Zeit geschieht das nicht mehr in meinem Kopf. Hurra für die Früchte der Meditation und positiver Affirmationen. Hurra, Hurra, das Schweigen ist da!
Hugs for Haiti.