Sonntag, 29. November 2009

Believing/ Glauben

Thank you 56 goes to Enid Blyton. Her wonderful stories studded my childhood like jems in the treasure troves of my imagination and my life was enriched by her characters.

Two weeks ago, I saw a toadstool for the first time. I recognised the red cap with creamy dots because I'd read about them in picture books and even drawn them myself as a kid. I never doubted that toadstools existed. The fact that I'd never seen one didn't matter. Other people had. And maybe if toadstools exist, so do the creatures fabled to use them: the brownies and pixies and elves, and animals that think and speak?

There's so much that I may never know. Why should life be limited to what I have seen?

Das Englische heute ist ein wenig zu schräg für mein deutsches Denkvermögen. Übersetzen läßt es sich schlecht. Aber es geht darum, dass ich fest daran glaube, es gibt mehr im Leben als ich mir jemals vorstellen, oder gar ahnen könnte. Und das ist irgendwie toll. Hurra!